Saturday, November 14, 2009

How to improve this yard at minimal cost, but achieve a dramatic uplift. ?

Here is the picture.


http://www.cgrer.uiowa.edu/people/tchai/...





My initial thought is having several (5-6) small bush plants ( Maybe Forsythia, I live in southeastern iowa, 5a zone,


http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/s...


any other suggestion?) lined up at the upper part. Then put mulches underneath.





Below that we have to buy more of the same jupiter (blue rug jupiter, I guess) to put in those red-mulch area. Then put in more of the same mulch.





In between those to regions, I am debating whether to have a layer of bricks instead of the black plastic seperating things. Not sure whether that will look good at all.





At the bottom there are two flower beds on both sides of the stair. I'll prune those invading jupiters to better define the upper line. Flowers came out last spring, along with weeds. I cannot tell what to keep until some flowers bloom. Do I better redo everyting, including the fabric?

How to improve this yard at minimal cost, but achieve a dramatic uplift. ?
Forget the fabric. use newspaper instead. It adds organic material to the soil and cost nothing. If you put down several layers, spray a little water over them to hold them in place and then put mulch on top, you will have a nice bed.





Forsythia tends to get large. Is that what you really want?


What if you paint the fence? You could paint flowers and a birdhouse, etc along this section and then plant. Or you could simply paint it a color that matches your house and then plant.





I am from Alabama and am not certain about which plants would do best in your area. Go to a couple of really good nurseries and look around, ask questions and get some ideas. You do not have to purchase anything.





I know you may have spring fever and want plant, and plant, and plant, but it might be best to wait until the fall. That way you can save the plants you want and the new plants will have the fall to become established.





Incorrect ly pruning junipers will do more damage than good...perhaps leaving them more an eyesore than an asset.





But, the best advice I can give you is to take the time to smell the flowers.





janis
Reply:What a great area! This is just my thoughts. I'd redo the whole area. Totally get rid of the juniper. It's old school. I think another tier in there with brick would be really nice. A couple nice tree's. I love the Japanese maples. Maybe throw in a couple of butterfly bushes. They are easy to deal with. You could even do grass up at the top if you can get a mower up there...then do the trees and some shade plants down below. That would make it look more park like. Have fun. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment