Saturday, November 14, 2009

Any poets in here?

Can some one help me with this homework I have to write a poem about where Im from, but i dont know how to begin it For the example the teacher gave us it said,


"I am from clothespins,


from Clorox and carbon tetrachloride.


I am from the dirt under the back porch.


(Black, glistening


it tasted like beets.)


I am from the forsythia bush,


the Dutch elm


whose long gone limbs I remember


as if they were my own.


I’m from fudge and eyeglasses,


from Imogene and Alafair.


I’m from the know-it-alls and the pass-it-ons,


from perk up and pipe down.


I’m from He restoreth my soul with a cottonball lamb


and ten verses I can say myself.


I’m from Artemus and Billie’s Branch,


fried corn and strong coffee.


From the finger my grandfather lost to the auger


the eye my father shut to keep his sight.


Under my bed was a dress box


spilling old pictures,


a sift of lost faces


to drift beneath my dreams.


I am from those moments–


snapped before I budded–


leaf-fall from the family tree."


HELP

Any poets in here?
Sorry, Dallas Princess, but I don't know you well enough to have any notion about where you are from. You can do this metaphorically, with allusions about your ancestors, or you can do it literally, with a description of what it felt like when you left the womb and entered the world. Or the first home you were aware of (have you lived in the same house all your life or have you moved?) Or how your world changed when you moved from being a carefree child to attending school. Or -- any other gateway that led you from one state of being to another.

Nanny Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment